Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Teacher Week: Where

It's here! The big classroom reveal!! I cannot wait to share my classroom photos and show you all the time, effort, and energy I put into making my room just right for my second graders. I got more hot glue gun burns than I can count, almost fell off a few desks, and worked in zero air conditioning for a few days....But it was so worth it! It feel so good to have it done (we all know it's NEVER all the way done) and to be focusing my energy into planning and meet the teacher night! Click the button below to see the rest of the classrooms that are being revealed on Blog Hoppin. So here goes nothing....


As some of you know, I moved rooms at the end of the summer and had to leave from the school to pack and head to Florida for my wedding the same day. Because of that I threw everything in my room and ran obviously because I could not wait to get my wedding week started! All that to say....it was a hott mess y'all. Here is the before picture.


And after many days and hours of prep work here is the finished product! 


I absolutely love the way it turned out! This is my view from the door and I chose to do cooperative groupings with the desks to encourage group work and partner talks. 


This is my check in station right next to the door. Classroom jobs, Transportation, and homework for the night will be posted here. I plan to keep my attendance binder here and students will drop notes or lunch money in the basket on the table. In the Hall Passes area, students have two pins for bathroom and water breaks and will move a pin over when they leave the room. Once their two pins are moved to the right of the chart they have used all their breaks for the day. 


This is my view from the front of the room and one of my favorite views! I got the idea for the gift bags that spell second grade from the First Grade Parade, Cara Carroll herself. It makes for a really inexpensive way to decorate above cabinets! The two bottom rows are student lockers and the top cabinets are storage. 



 This is my classroom library. The bins are from Dollar Tree and Big Lots and the stools, pillows, and rug are from IKEA.

I love these Reading strategy posters, and I hung my labels on the bins with binder rings so that I can change them out easily if I decide to group my books in a different way.


This is my supply station. I do shared supplies, so this will be here when the kids run out of paper, glue, or crayons. Our think tanks are to the left and this is what the students will work on while I work with my intervention groups. 

 I will share about my library checkout system in another post, and I plan to label each of the books with a Lexile and DRA level for the kids to choose just right books. The last thing we want is kids reading books that are on their frustration level!



Here is my computer area, word wall, and the space above will probably be used for displaying student work samples. The shelf to the left holds table buckets, folders, and will hold textbooks when I receive them (that's right...no textbooks yet...yikes).  


This is my teacher table area and I LOVE it! With the way my schedule works, I will be spending most of my day here in this little corner so I wanted it to be peasant. I hope to add a tall standing lamp in the corner, but for now it holds our writing board behind the table, our Daily 5 anchor charts, and next to that is our CAFE strategy board that will hold all our reading strategies as we learn them. The circles are dry erase circles that are perfect for practicing spelling words and patterns with small groups. The red chair was one I saved from the trash! I covered it with red spray paint I already had and covered the seat with left over fabric. It will make for a comfy seat all day! 


This is the view from the back of the room, and you can see my alphabet, hand painted rocking chair, and focus wall with my TEKS ready to go. I will keep our weekly Spelling, Vocabulary, and math vocab here for reference. I will also keep table points as a daily incentive. 


I love the buckets hanging next to my chart paper! Anchor charts are ready to be made. You can also see my whole brain teaching rules at the bottom of the board that I made to coordinate with my room colors.


 This is where I will display my completed anchor charts for the kids to reference and these are the hand signals I use for the kids to communicate what they need. 



I love my desk area and teacher toolbox! 
 

This is my math vocab wall where we will add math terminology that we learn through the year, our math stations, and our calendar.





There is my classroom! I hope you enjoyed the pictures and if you have any questions about where things came from just leave a comment below! Thanks for reading and come back tomorrow to continue the Blog Hoppin Teacher linky. 

 


Alexis

3 comments:

  1. It looks great! I love that you have carpet and tile!

    -Sarah
    A Rocky Top Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow - I'm loving the colors and TOTALLY love the burlap...

    Holly
    Crisscross Applesauce in First Grade

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was randomly clicking through Five for Friday link ups when I came across your blog,and I'm so glad I did! It's always nice to bump into another Texas blogger. Your room is amazing and I love your blog name! I love everything about it. Well done!
    Teaching, Love, Cupcakes

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin